Thursday, December 24, 2009

One night (left) in Paris

I last left off on my lazy day in Paris where I'd bought a camera and basically sat around doing nothing but writing this blog.

That day was, as you can probably tell, pretty uneventful. The following day I headed off by myself to see Sacre Couer, the surrounding area of Montmarte and Notre Dame.

I started the day off bright and early, my first stop was Sacre Couer. As I emerged from the underground metro stop at the base of the steps that led up to the basilica I was absolutely shocked at the sheer size of it. For some reason I hadn't expected it to be such a huge building. The entire area was crowded with people but this didn't detract from the majesty of Sacre Couer at all.

I'd planned on going in but a service had just finished and the area was packed, so instead I walked around it and wound my way down the hill towards the Moulin Rouge. Along the way I stopped off at a square named after Salvador Dali that had all sorts of artists sketching and painting. I ended up getting a drawing done which actually doesn't look a whole lot like me but is nice anyway.

The Moulin Rouge was well, how can I say this? A massive let down! It sucked. I took a few photos but it was hardly worth it. Quite quickly I left and headed for Notre Dame. No let down here! It was amazing. The detail around the doorways was phenomenal and I couldn't believe the sheer size of it. I went inside and felt a little religious for about 10 minutes... Then I left. But it was beautiful inside, very awe-inspiring.

That night Pru and I cooked a great carbonara with plenty of garlic in it. We had our last meal with Jayne and Bunny before they headed off the next day back to Melbourne and we to Brussels.